Breast augmentation affects more than just your appearance. Whether your goal is to increase the size of your breasts, balance asymmetrical breasts, or enhance your body’s overall proportions, this is a decision with emotional as well as physical impact.
Choosing the right plastic surgeon is the most important decision you’ll make toward achieving the results you envision. Read on for tips to help you find the plastic surgeon who’s the best fit for you.
Get Recommendations From People You Trust
Finding a qualified plastic surgeon often starts with recommendations from people you know and trust. This can include friends, relatives, or even your primary physician. And don’t overlook the value of online reviews and client testimonials—they can offer a broader view.
Look for Board-Certified Plastic Surgeons
Achieving board certification involves thorough training, passing comprehensive exams, and a commitment to meet rigorous standards set forth by recognized medical boards. This certification is a testament to the surgeon’s ethical commitment and dedication to ongoing education. This qualification should be essential for any surgeons you consider.
So, how do you confirm that your potential surgeon is board-certified? Here are some pointers:
- Check the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) database: The ABPS is a respected authority for certifications in this medical field. Use their simple search feature to verify your surgeon’s status.
- Check with your state medical board: These boards offer a wealth of information, including credentials and any legal issues, such as malpractice cases.
- Contact the surgeon’s office directly: When in doubt, take the direct route and ask the surgeon’s staff. Transparency on this matter is essential.
- Use other reliable sources: RealSelf offers firsthand patient experiences and can be a gold mine when doing your homework on surgeons and procedures.
Set Up a Consultation
Once your list is trimmed down, the initial consultation is crucial for assessing the surgeon’s technical proficiency and aesthetic vision. Come prepared with your questions, such as:
- How experienced are you with breast augmentation surgery?
- What risks are involved, and what precautions do you take?
- What type of implants do you recommend for my body type?
- Do you recommend subglandular (on top of the chest muscle) or submuscular (beneath the chest muscle) placement?
- Where will the incisions be made?
- What’s the typical recovery timeline?
- Can you provide a complete cost breakdown?
- Do you have a portfolio of before-and-after photos?
Review Before-and-After Photos Carefully
Analyzing before-and-after images can provide valuable insights into the surgeon’s skills and aesthetic eye. Focus on consistent results and particulars that are important to you, but bear in mind that individual outcomes may differ.
The following are before-and-after photos of Southeastern Plastic Surgery patients.
Choose a Surgeon You Feel Comfortable With
The cornerstone of any successful plastic surgery is effective communication. It’s essential that you feel at ease discussing your goals, concerns, and expectations.
Schedule a Consultation
Breast augmentation is more than a cosmetic procedure; it’s an opportunity to boost your confidence and feel better in your own skin. If you’d like to speak with a board-certified surgeon at Southeastern Plastic Surgery, call our office today at (850) 219-2000 or request a consultation.
To see more transformations, view our complete breast augmentation before-and-after gallery. And learn more about breast augmentation in our comprehensive blog post, A Complete Guide to Your Breast Augmentation Journey.