Whether they are prepping for a special event or want to elevate the everyday, men and women alike choose BOTOX Cosmetic to help them put their best face forward. This immensely popular injectable is a relatively painless, nonsurgical treatment that can restore a more youthful and refreshed appearance.
But do BOTOX, Dysport®, and similar injectables live up to their hype as “lunch break procedures” that can deliver noticeable results quickly? If you’re considering BOTOX for the first time, you probably have questions like “how long does BOTOX take to work”, and “how long does BOTOX last”?
We’ve got you covered with an overview of what to expect after getting BOTOX. We’ll also cover how to maximize your BOTOX results and experience. Keep reading to learn more!
Getting Real: How Long Does It Take for BOTOX To Work?
While the results of your BOTOX treatment won’t happen overnight, you won’t have to wait long to notice smoother, firmer skin. While some men and women see immediate improvements, it usually takes 2 or 3 days to observe more significant changes from BOTOX.
The full effects of BOTOX are evident 1 to 2 weeks post-injection. This can be helpful to know if you’re planning to get BOTOX before a special event to look and feel your very best.
Here’s a breakdown of how BOTOX works its magic to rejuvenate aging skin:
- BOTOX is neuromodulator made from botulinum toxin type A, a purified substance that can block nerve signals.
- Once BOTOX is expertly injected into the targeted muscles, they begin to relax and cease their contractions.
- Over a few days, as BOTOX gradually settles, the injected muscles become immobilized.
- Eventually, your dynamic wrinkles caused by facial movements smooth out and become less visible. A BOTOX treatment can even prevent new wrinkles from forming!
How Long Does BOTOX Last?
Your BOTOX results won’t be permanent, but your results will appear quickly and last approximately 3 to 4 months. After this period, muscle activity gradually returns, and wrinkles can reappear. You can maintain your results by visiting our medical spa for follow-up injections. Contrary to popular belief, you can stop or resume your BOTOX treatments at any time, and it is safe to use BOTOX long-term without any adverse effects.
Does Dysport Last Longer Than BOTOX?
In addition to BOTOX, we offer patients other neurotoxins that work much the same way, including Dysport, Jeuveau®, and XEOMIN®. While they all contain similar active ingredients and can reduce the appearance of wrinkles (namely, horizontal lines on the forehead and vertical creases between the eyes, called glabellar or “11” lines), they have different dilutions and behave slightly differently. Therefore, one injectable may work better than another, depending on your treatment area.
In comparing injectables, patients often ask us, “How long does Dysport last?” While it varies from patient to patient, Dysport has a lower molecular mass than BOTOX and may spread faster and to a larger coverage area (such as the forehead).
Studies by Galderma have shown that it can also last up to five months, which is slightly longer than BOTOX. Jeuveau and XEOMIN typically last 3 to 4 months or about the same duration as BOTOX.
Maximizing Your BOTOX results
Remember that while BOTOX is a proven weapon for combatting wrinkles and lines, it’s not a permanent solution. Here are some general tips to help you maximize the results of your BOTOX treatments:
- Choose an experienced injector. It is essential to select a medical spa with a qualified injector who can accurately assess your needs and administer the correct dosage. This will help you achieve your desired BOTOX results while maintaining natural vs. frozen facial movements.
- Take care of your skin. While BOTOX can work wonders, it is not a substitute for maintaining a good skincare routine. Protect your skin from sun exposure and preserve the health of your skin by using moisturizer and other high-quality skincare products.
- Stay healthy! Make a concerted effort to eat a nutritious, balanced diet and stay hydrated with plenty of H2O at home and on-the-go. A healthy lifestyle dramatically contributes to younger, more radiant-looking skin.
- Consider additional treatments. In addition to maintaining youthful results with follow-up BOTOX injections, many patients opt for complementary treatments. For example, dermal fillers or chemical peels can enhance your overall results.
In addition to following our above tips to preserve the longevity of your BOTOX, here is our advice on what not to do after BOTOX:
- Don’t rub it in. Rubbing your face immediately after BOTOX can cause irritation and may prolong redness and bruising. It can also cause the injection to spread.
- Avoid intense cardio. Strenuous physical activity can increase blood flow to the face, impacting the distribution of neurotoxins before they bind to the treated muscles. It’s wise to wait at least 12 hours before getting your sweat on!
- Keep it simple. Stay away from your favorite facial massagers, rollers, and accessories to give your face adequate time to settle. Using these gizmos too much too soon can cause the neurotoxin to diffuse into unwanted facial territory.
- Avoid the sun. Heat and sun can inflame the skin and put you at risk for increased redness and swelling. Protecting your skin by using sunscreen and wearing brimmed hats is always a good idea.
BOTOX Longevity: The Takeaway
Understanding how long your BOTOX treatment will last and having realistic expectations about your results can contribute to a more positive experience. Tips such as selecting an experienced injector, taking care of your skin, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle can also preserve your youthful, refreshed appearance. Finally, regular BOTOX maintenance can help you achieve long-lasting results.
Are you ready to combat the signs of aging by exploring the benefits of BOTOX, Dysport, or one of our other injectable treatments? We encourage you to request a consultation online or call us at (850) 219-2000 to schedule an appointment.